Rescued Hearts has the following mission:
- raise money to donate to groups through the sale of merchandise;
- host special events at our store to provide opportunities for the groups to interact with the public, raise funds, and increase public awareness of the animals they have in their care;
- provide a forum to educate the public about animal welfare issues in the store, on Facebook, and on this website, including, but not limited to: puppy mills, hoarding, animal cruelty and neglect, spay and neuter, nutrition, and legislation
- raise money for individual animals and causes through this website’s Sponsor page, which allows people to participate in our fundraising efforts, no matter where they live;
- facilitate networking among the groups and the public, and do our own part to help animals in distress.
- collect donations of food for distributions to the groups.
Money is awarded to 501 (c) 3 non-profits.
We help 3 groups (All Breed Rescue & Training, Lucky Dog Rescue, and No Hound Unhomed) that use positive reinforcement training to help the dogs that come into their care to be successfully adopted. Many of those dogs come from animal shelters, and would be euthanized due to behavioral issues if not rescued by these groups.
We help subsidize Hamlett Spay and Neuter Clinic’s low cost programs, to help animals keep from having unwanted litters.
Our goal is to increase visibility and public support for smaller local groups; focusing on groups for which a smaller award on a regular basis can make an impact.
We support groups that have a solid reputation in the local rescue community, and have earned the respect of their peers. The groups we support can change over time.
Each month, we feature a Group of the Month, with a small display describing their work, for interested shoppers to read. They receive a donation at the end of the month. We give grants quarterly to a number of groups on a rotating basis, giving the checks out at the same time, when possible. This gives shoppers an opportunity to see where their money is going, and meet some of the people doing this amazing work.
In October 2014, we asked our customers to vote for the Group of the Month for December. The results were so close among the top 6 that we made those our Groups of the Month for the next 6 months. This allowed our customers to have real input into where their money goes!
We host adoption fairs for the groups who are able to participate. There are also special events, including specific fundraisers and educational opportunities. We have partnered with Dr. Amy Neidig of Healthy Companions to have low cost vaccinations at the store, as well as giving out vouchers for the same services (including antibody titer testing) at her clinic, without the exam fee.